Skip to main content

Environment

Being an expat, a favorite topic of conversation is 'where I/you want to go next?' or 'When do you plan to go home?'

It's a good question. I'm not sure I want to stay in Dubai for ever, but I'm also not sure about how long I want to be here for or where else I would like to live.

For almost the first time ever, I have no fixed plans apart from keeping my eyes and mind open to interesting opportunities.

And as to going 'home', I have no idea where that is. Constantly moving around as a child left me with the feeling that 'home' is wherever I am right now, so in effect 'home' could be anywhere. The longest I've ever lived in one fixed place was 18 years in London, on and off, but that doesn't feel like 'home' either - I love going back to see family and friends, and it's a great place to shop, but that's about it.

I have a great love for California, which is where my extended family is from (and where most of them still live), but while a good-sized portion of my heart resides there California has only been a temporary resting-place for me. I used to think that I would end up there, somewhere along the coast near San Francisco, but now I'm not so sure.

So, where WILL I end up? I have no idea. My only criteria is that it will be close to water (being land-locked makes me feel slightly uncomfortable) with a warm and sunny climate. Good food, friendly people and an interesting history would be a bonus.

Apart from all that, it could be almost anywhere - South America, South-East Asia, the Pacific Islands, Southern Europe... ?

I do have an image in my mind of the house I will build one day; a minimalist white block with a wall of glass on one side looking out over the sea or the ocean; inside a flow of open space and double-height ceilings, polished concrete floors, lots of natural wood and a big wrap-around deck with loungers and a hammock.

It's good to have dreams but it's also nice not to be overly fixated on the details. Here's to a free-flowing future...

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hey, I've seen your house! It looks out to sea. It has a wrap-around deck. It has cows on the hill behind. It's in Cornwall. But I saw it first...
Kate B. said…
Hi Mum, you are totally transparent. Too darned cold in Cornwall! That's a major black mark... (but don't worry, we'll still come visit in the summer...) xxx
Expatmammy said…
I hear Amsterdam is lovely
catherine said…
I've lived in Amsterdam for 2 years now after living in SF for 15 and I know the feeling. My family would very much like for me to come back to the states (horrors) and the only place I can imagine going is back to is SF but I feel done with it. And now....after not having a car for the last few years and not wanting one, and enjoying a much different (lovelier) life here, I have no idea. Hmmm.
Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Healthy food said…
Thanks for the info! excellent blog
Sara said…
WOULD YOUR CHILDREN HAVE AN IMPACT ON YOUR DESICCION OF MOVING ?
i LEFT MY HOME TOWN TOO, BUT FOR ME UAE IS THE SECOND AND FINAL STOP
HOPEFULLY !
auditors said…
Very interesting points you have observed , thankyou for putting up.
Dubai auditors
Incredible points. Sound arguments. Keep up the great work.
offshore company formation in dubai
International Business Company RAK
I like your website plain and simple. Keep up the great work and I will keep coming back.
Business Services Dubai
offshore dubai said…
Just been reading this post and i have really enjoyed it. Thanks for providing a great service on this blog and i will be back for more!!!
UAE offshore company
uae companies said…
What a great idea for a post! Thanks for sharing I really enjoyed it.
UAE chartered accountants
Unknown said…
Hi.

It sounds like you're busy, but I'm wondering if you do any book reviews. I'm asking because I'm writing an ebook set in Dubai and was wondering if you'd take a look.

It's called Suite Dubai, about an American girl who gets a job at a hotel in Dubai. If you're interested and have an ereader, I can send you a copy.
Callista
it sound quiet interesting and great that you share your thoughts and feelings and best of luck for your dream home.
home care

Popular posts from this blog

Apologies for being incommunicado this week and hope none of you out there are too distraught not to be receiving the usual almost-daily MotV missives. The reason for the silence is that I'm up to my neck, metaphorically-speaking, in research papers for my first grad course assessment. This experience has made me realise how rigorously un-academic I am in my thinking. It has also illuminated how reliant I am on red wine in order to get through endless evenings typing furiously on my laptop, not to mention the fueling of increasingly colorful curses that I feel obliged to aim at the University's online library system which consistently refuses to spit out any of the journals I'm desperate for (I refuse to believe this is 100% due to my technical incompetence...) Oh well, if this is the price one has to pay in order to realize a long-cherished dream then it's not all that bad... No one ever said a mid-life career change would be easy. Wish me luck!